Cairo (The Uttam Hindu): Arab foreign ministers on Saturday opposed the removal of Palestinians from their land. They raised their voice in unison against the appeal of US President Donald Trump to Egypt and Jordan to give refuge to Gazans.

In a joint statement issued after a meeting in Cairo, the foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the Palestinian Authority and the Arab League said such a move would threaten stability in the region, spread conflict and undermine prospects for peace, according to media reports. "We reject [any attempt to] compromise the inalienable rights of Palestinians in any form or under any circumstances or justification, whether through the construction of settlements, the occupation of land or the evacuation of land from its owners...," the joint statement said.

It said they look forward to working with the Trump administration to achieve a just and comprehensive peace in the Middle East based on a two-state solution. The meeting came after Trump said last week that Egypt and Jordan should relocate Palestinians from Gaza. Trump called Gaza a "destruction site" after 15 months of Israeli bombing that left 2.3 million people homeless. Critics said his suggestion amounted to ethnic cleansing. Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Wednesday rejected the idea that Egypt would help displace Gazans. He said Egyptians would take to the streets to express their disapproval. However, Trump reiterated the idea on Thursday, saying, "We do a lot for them, and they will do the same." He was referring to the abundant US help, including military aid, to both Egypt and Jordan.

The Uttam Hindu

The Uttam Hindu

Next Story