Islamabad (The Uttam Hindu): The Torkham border between Pakistan and Afghanistan is set to open on Tuesday. This border crossing remained closed for almost a month due to tensions between the two countries over construction work being carried out by Afghan forces near the disputed border. According to media reports, the second round of ceasefire talks took place between the two sides on Monday. During this, it was decided to open the Torkham trade route, which was closed on February 21, for all types of movement. Earlier on March 4, the situation at the Torkham border deteriorated when talks to reopen the crossing failed, resulting in gunfire between Pakistani security forces and Afghan Taliban fighters. Several armed force personnel and civilians have lost their lives in the violent clashes.

Torkham, one of the most important crossings between Afghanistan and Pakistan, handles most of the trade and movement between the two countries. Pakistani officials said all trade, including transit trade, came to a halt during the 24-day border closure. A Pakistani official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Express Tribune that the national exchequer had suffered a total loss of $72 million due to the border closure. The conflict has dealt a heavy blow to traders on both sides of the border, who have lost millions of dollars. Hundreds of travellers and patients, thousands of cargo trucks are stranded on both sides of the Torkham crossing due to the standoff. "A meeting was held between the two sides in Torkham on Monday. The decisions taken were positive and it is likely that the crossing will reopen today or tomorrow," Afghan media Tolo News quoted Afghan businessman Zalamai Azimi as saying.

The Uttam Hindu

The Uttam Hindu

Next Story